Saturday, April 25, 2015

Stained glass butterflies -- Butterfly thinlit dies

Yep! I just can't stop playing with the butterfly thinlets -- which, incidentally, are on sale for 15% off through April 30th!  AND if you purchase one of the bundles including the Butterfly Basics stamp set as well as framelits, you can choose one of three Sale-a-bration items for FREE -- the Irresistably Yours specialty DSP, the Best Year Ever DSP, or a ribbon/button pack.

This is a card we will be making at my next techniques stampers club.  I am in love with this stained glass technique, and just wanted to try another twist to this idea.  In a previous post, I showed how to emboss an image on vellum and color the opposite side with markers to create an amazing stained glass look.  On this card, I have die cut the medium butterfly out of black card stock, carefully glued it to a scrap of vellum, and then colored the back side using just a sponge dauber and inks.  Start with your lightest color of ink first, and add as much color to the vellum as possible.  Then get your darker color and add that to the outside edges of the wings, taking care not to get too much on the lighter color or your butterfly won't have that two tone look.

Another new treasure I used on these cards, was the striped scalloped thinnest die.  I've had this die on my wish list for a long time, and just recently got around to purchasing it.  I wanted the butterflies to 'pop' on this card, so I did a tone on tone look -- using Very Vanilla for the card base as well as my scalloped overlay.  Soft and elegant.

For the first card here, I used Tempting Turquoise and Rich Razzleberry inks on the butterfly, and on the second one -- Crushed Curry and Tangelo Twist inks.  My idea was a version of a monark butterfly with the latter.  Of course, I'm not striving for realism here -- just beauty! :)






No comments:

Post a Comment