Every so often, ok, QUITE often, I get an "itch" to create something beautiful. :) I have recently been made aware, of what a HUGE stash of patterned burlap and felt I have accumulated. You see, I am just a wee bit addicted to making cute die cut flowers, etc. with it.... And, every time I see a new pattern at Joanne's that I hadn't gotten before, well.... you know how that turns out...
I decided to make a fall banner with some of it, just to see how it came out. I'm planning to offer this as a class in October, so stay tuned for coming events! :)
I started by applying fusible interfacing to the back of the burlap before I die cut it -- to reduce fraying. After die cutting the banners, I used a crop-a-dile to punch holes for the twine to go through. Next, I ironed Wonder Under to the back of some Espresso colored felt -- and die cut the letters for the word, "Grateful". Then, I fused the letters to the banner pieces -- using a hot iron -- and strung the banner pieces together on a length of hemp twine. Finally, I added the rolled flowers -- some are burlap (treated with a mixture of ModgePodge and water to reduce fraying) and some are felt. The roses are cut with the SU spiral flower die. If you have never played with this die before, you simply MUST! It makes creating roses so EASY! My die is so well loved, it looks like it's been through a war -- cutting all that stiff burlap, but it still works great. I die cut the leaves using the SU retired autumn accents die, and the banners are cut using a retired banners die, however, you could easily hand cut the banner pieces and make them flagged ends or triangles.
I would love to hear what you think of it! :)